Accutane on indian skin.10 of your most burning questions about Accutane, answered by dermatologists

Looking for:

Isotretinoin: an Indian experience. 













































   

 

Isotretinoin: In acne and beyond – An overview Bubna AK - Indian J Drugs Dermatol



  Indian J Drugs Dermatol [serial online] [cited Oct and need to be identified after stretching the skin under suitable light. The New York Times' Iva Dixit discusses her long journey to clear skin, including a three-month round of Accutane. She also explains her. In this study we retrospectively analysed the unique efficacy and incidence of potentially significant side-effects of a new drug which has claimed to be a.  


Accutane on indian skin.Isotretinoin: an Indian experience



 

If you have ever struggled with acne, you've probably heard your dermatologist mention Accutane at least once during your visits, or maybe you've come across it yourself while researching solutions for this very common skin condition. Known as the "miracle drug," Accutane — medically referred to as Isotretinoin — has gained quite a reputation within the beauty and skincare community over the years. Whether it's due to some of its notorious side effects, or the unbelievable results that users have experienced, this medication has certainly made a significant impact on those who have dealt with extreme acne.

Dermatologists have praised the medication, citing its success and effectiveness. But before you consider this treatment, it's important to understand what it does to the skin.

However, by doing so, Accutane also makes your skin much dryer and more sensitive, meaning that after a course of Accutane, it may be in need of some serious TLC. And the impact may not last forever. Marinelli adds. That's why she also suggests developing an alternate skincare plan for the duration of the treatment along with taking the medication. In the morning, she suggests washing your face with a gentle cleanser that won't strip the skin, followed by a non-comedogenic moisturizer and sunscreen to nourish the skin and add in a layer of UV protection.

The thing about Accutane is that it typically purges your skin before it begins to work, essentially meaning that your acne is going to get worse before it gets better. In my case, my skin was constantly dry and required consistent hydration, the corners of my mouth and inside of my nose would crack and bleed, my joints would ache, and my head would hurt almost all the time.

The first time I used the medication, my day and nighttime routine were very simple. I was also advised to stay away from any heavy exfoliation or products that were not made for sensitive skin. I've been prescribed Accutane at two different points in my life.

The first was during my senior year of college — a time where I wished that my acne days were long gone. The rigorous requirements that are involved with taking Accutane definitely made my life quite difficult. Not only did I have to deal with having monthly blood work done, traveling back and forth between cities for dermatologist appointments, and unexpected medical costs, but the physical and mental toll that Accutane took on me wreaked just as much havoc.

Imagine this: you have just started your first week at an internship with a well-known PR agency on their fashion and beauty team. You want to try to look your best every day and seemingly blend in with all of the stylish women around you, but it literally hurts to put makeup on your face. Not to mention, you also are attending a fashion business school, where your whole look from head-to-toe is silently judged by your peers on a daily basis.

There are some days when you don't even want to go to class or your internship because you are breaking out so badly and are embarrassed to show your face. This was me during the fall of as I had Aquaphor glued to my hand along with a full bottle of water at all times to deal with the dryness caused by the meds. The mental and emotional component of being on this medication truly tests you in ways you might never have thought of otherwise.

So preparing yourself for these side effects is crucial if you and your doctor decide Accutane will be the acne treatment for you. While I was on it, I tried to indulge in my favorite activities. I made sure I took walks outside when the weather was nice with SPF protection, of course!

I found that trying to distract myself by watching movies and reading up on other people's experiences helped me cope when I was having a particularly bad mental health day.

After nearly six months of constant agony and annoyance in relation to my skin, there was finally a breakthrough. All of a sudden, my skin began clearing up, and my pimples all started to fade away. What I was left with was certainly not a blank canvas due to the scarring and discoloration caused by previous breakouts, but I was happy to see progress nonetheless. For the next eight months or so, my skin was in a place I had never imagined it would be: clear, glowing, improving by the day.

I began to have some professional skin treatments done, like chemical peels, and was loving all the improvements I was seeing in my overall complexion. I went off of Accutane. I developed an entirely new skincare routine and was trying out new products that I could finally withstand now that I was off of the medication.

The Tatcha powder cleanser offered light physical exfoliation that my skin could handle. The Skinceuticals serum was given to me by the esthetician I went to for the chemical peels, and it really helped with the dark spots that were left behind from my acne. As for First Aid Beauty 's cream, it helped to keep my skin hydrated and soft. However, a few months later, my acne slowly began to creep back.

After trying out several different remedies, I made the difficult decision to restart Accutane, something I had hoped I would never have to do. This time, though, I knew what was ahead of me.

I was prepared to roll with the punches, ready for round two — and all the subsequent side effects — from incredibly dry skin and hair to headaches and mild joint pain.

While on Accutane, your skin becomes extremely sensitive, therefore limiting the types of products you can use within your skincare routine. Think: a gentle cleanser, hydrating moisturizer, and a facial sunscreen with at least SPF Post-Accutane, your skin should be pretty low-maintenance, but it may take some time to adjust. Despite the side effects and discomfort, I found Accutane to be an excellent solution for my long-term acne.

If you decide to give it a try, you'll definitely want the guidance of a good dermatologist to help you through — especially when the side effects get intense.

I was able to stick it out, and I'm so glad I did. Beauty Skincare. By Jenna Curcio. Jenna Curcio. InStyle's editorial guidelines.

Pin Share Tweet Email. Was this page helpful? Thanks for your feedback! Tell us why! Newsletter Sign Up.

    ❾-50%}

 

Myths and Facts About Accutane, According to Dermatologists



    After nearly six months of constant agony and annoyance in relation to my skin, there was finally a breakthrough.

In , a US congressman blamed Accutane for the suicide of his year-old son. Last year, for example, researchers reviewed 31 previous studies on depression and isotretinoin. In all of that data, they found no evidence that the drug was linked to a higher depression risk. In fact, the results showed that treating acne seemed to decrease depression symptoms.

Still, Suozzi explained that because the stakes are so high, she regularly checks in on her isotretinoin patients to monitor for any concerning mental health changes. Inflammatory bowel disease , or IBD, is an umbrella term for disorders that cause chronic inflammation in the digestive tract. But he also added that the "best data" we have on the subject — a nationwide study of French people — found that isotretinoin was not associated with a higher risk for ulcerative colitis.

And it was even associated with a decreased risk of Crohn's disease , another type of IBD. Suozzi also added that people with IBD can take isotretinoin and the drug won't make their symptoms "flare. Both Zeichner and Suozzi said that, generally speaking, isotretinoin is covered by most insurance plans. Read next. Caroline Praderio. Facebook Icon The letter F. Email icon An envelope. It indicates the ability to send an email.

Share icon An curved arrow pointing right. Facebook Email icon An envelope. Email Twitter icon A stylized bird with an open mouth, tweeting. Twitter Snapchat icon A ghost. Snapchat Fliboard icon A stylized letter F. Flipboard Pinterest icon The letter "P" styled to look like a thumbtack pin.

Pinterest Link icon An image of a chain link. It symobilizes a website link url. Copy Link. Does it really cure acne for most people who take it? Does isotretinoin cause birth defects? Will it make my skin really dry? Will taking isotretinoin make me more sensitive to the sun?

Can I drink alcohol when taking isotretinoin? Will it make me go bald? Will taking isotretinoin change my vision? Will isotretinoin make me depressed or suicidal? Will it cause inflammatory bowel disease? Will it be covered by my insurance? Loading Something is loading.

Thanks for signing up! The rigorous requirements that are involved with taking Accutane definitely made my life quite difficult. Not only did I have to deal with having monthly blood work done, traveling back and forth between cities for dermatologist appointments, and unexpected medical costs, but the physical and mental toll that Accutane took on me wreaked just as much havoc. Imagine this: you have just started your first week at an internship with a well-known PR agency on their fashion and beauty team.

You want to try to look your best every day and seemingly blend in with all of the stylish women around you, but it literally hurts to put makeup on your face. Not to mention, you also are attending a fashion business school, where your whole look from head-to-toe is silently judged by your peers on a daily basis.

There are some days when you don't even want to go to class or your internship because you are breaking out so badly and are embarrassed to show your face. This was me during the fall of as I had Aquaphor glued to my hand along with a full bottle of water at all times to deal with the dryness caused by the meds. The mental and emotional component of being on this medication truly tests you in ways you might never have thought of otherwise.

So preparing yourself for these side effects is crucial if you and your doctor decide Accutane will be the acne treatment for you.

While I was on it, I tried to indulge in my favorite activities. I made sure I took walks outside when the weather was nice with SPF protection, of course! I found that trying to distract myself by watching movies and reading up on other people's experiences helped me cope when I was having a particularly bad mental health day.

After nearly six months of constant agony and annoyance in relation to my skin, there was finally a breakthrough. All of a sudden, my skin began clearing up, and my pimples all started to fade away. What I was left with was certainly not a blank canvas due to the scarring and discoloration caused by previous breakouts, but I was happy to see progress nonetheless.

For the next eight months or so, my skin was in a place I had never imagined it would be: clear, glowing, improving by the day. I began to have some professional skin treatments done, like chemical peels, and was loving all the improvements I was seeing in my overall complexion. I went off of Accutane. I developed an entirely new skincare routine and was trying out new products that I could finally withstand now that I was off of the medication.

The Tatcha powder cleanser offered light physical exfoliation that my skin could handle. The Skinceuticals serum was given to me by the esthetician I went to for the chemical peels, and it really helped with the dark spots that were left behind from my acne.

As for First Aid Beauty 's cream, it helped to keep my skin hydrated and soft. However, a few months later, my acne slowly began to creep back. After trying out several different remedies, I made the difficult decision to restart Accutane, something I had hoped I would never have to do.

This time, though, I knew what was ahead of me. I was prepared to roll with the punches, ready for round two — and all the subsequent side effects — from incredibly dry skin and hair to headaches and mild joint pain.

While on Accutane, your skin becomes extremely sensitive, therefore limiting the types of products you can use within your skincare routine. Think: a gentle cleanser, hydrating moisturizer, and a facial sunscreen with at least SPF

Isotretinoin ISO has proven to be an extremely valuable drug for all dermatologists. Since its approval in by the US Food and Drug Administration for nodulocystic acne, it still remains the gold standard drug for the above indication till date, facing no competition from its contemporaries.

Along with the treatment of nodulocystic acne, ISO has proved valuable in several other dermatoses as well. Further, even for treating acne, there have been a number of modifications as far as the prescription of ISO is concerned.

This review will briefly highlight the various aspects of isotretinoin for acne and other cutaneous disorders. Keywords: Acne, erythema dyschromicum perstans, isotretinoin, resistant dermatophytosis.

Advanced Search. J Am Acad Dermatol ;S A review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in acne and other skin disorders. Drugs ; Comparative effect of isotretinoin and etretinate on acne and sebaceous gland secretion. J Am Acad Dermatol ; Systemic isotretinoin therapy normalizes exaggerated TLRmediated innate immune responses in acne patients. J Invest Dermatol ; Isotretinoin temporally regulates distinct sets of genes in patient skin.

TRAIL contributes to the apoptotic effect of cis retinoic acid in human sebaceous gland cells. Br J Dermatol ; Del Rosso JQ. Face to face with oral isotretinoin: A closer look at the spectrum of therapeutic outcomes and why some patients need repeated courses.

J Clin Aesthet Dermatol ; Aryal A, Upreti S. A brief review on systemic retinoids. Int J Pharm Sci Res ; European evidence-based S3 guidelines for the treatment of acne.

Acne guideline update. S Afr Med J ; Toward evidence-based practice in acne: Consensus of an Asian Working Group. J Dermatol ; Guidelines of care for acne vulgaris management. Evidence-based recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric acne. Pediatrics ; Suppl 3:S Roaccutane treatment guidelines: Results of an international survey.

Dermatology ; Report of the Consensus Conference on Acne Classification. Washington, D. ECLA grading: A system of acne classification for every day dermatological practice. Ann Dermatol Venereol ; Layton A. The use of isotretinion in acne. Dermatoendocrinology ; Barr Laboratories. Reddy's Laboratories Limited. Zenetane isotretinoin capsules USP [package insert]. Bachupally, India: Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited; January, Pharmacokinetics of isotretinoin during repetitive dosing to patients.

Eur J Clin Pharmacol ; Pharmacokinetics of isotretinoin and its major blood metabolite following a single oral dose to man. An open label, phase IV study evaluating Lidose-isotretinoin administered without food in patients with severe recalcitrant nodular acne:low relapse rates onserved over the week post treatment period. High-dose isotretinoin in acne vulgaris: Improved treatment outcomes and quality of life.

Int J Dermatol ; High-dose isotretinoin treatment and the rate of retrial, relapse, and adverse effects in patients with acne vulgaris. JAMA Dermatol ; Medium dose isotretinoin for the treatment of acne. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol ; A randomized trial of the efficacy of a new micronized formulation versus a standard formulation of isotretinoin in patients with severe recalcitrant nodular acne. Treatment of acne with intermittent isotretinoin. Kaymak Y, Ilter N.

The effectiveness of intermittent isotretinoin treatment in mild or moderate acne. Treatment of acne with intermittent and conventional isotretinoin: A randomized, controlled multicenter study. Arch Dermatol Res ; Efficacy of fixed low dose isotretinoin 20mg, alternate days with topical clindamycin gel in moderately severe acne vulgaris.

Acne vulgaris in the elderly: The response to low-dose isotretinoin. Systemic retinoids. In: Wolverton SE, editor. Comprehensive Dermatologic Drug Therapy. Edinburg: Elsevier-Saunders; Recurrence rates after the first course of isotretinoin.

Arch Dermatol ; Isotretinoin for the treatment of acne vulgaris: Which factors may predict the need for more than one course? Isotretinoin therapy in acne vulgaris: A year retrospective study in Singapore. Treatment outcome of acne vulgaris with oral isotretinoin in 89 patients.

The use of isotretinoin in acne. Dermatoendocrinol ; Acne flare and isotretinoin — Incidence and treatment. Ablation of whiteheads by cautery under topical anaesthesia. The management of acne patients who respond slowly to oral isotretinoin. Virtual Mentor ; Baldwin HE. Systemic therapy for rosacea. Skin Therapy Lett ;, 9. Efficacy of low-dose isotretinoin in patients with treatment-resistant rosacea. The effects of isotretinoin on follicular and sebaceous gland differentiation.

Treatment of extrafacial rosacea with low-dose isotretinoin. Acta Derm Venereol ; Rosacea treatment with intermediate-dose isotretinoin: Follow-up with erythema and sebum measurements. Systemic isotretinoin in the treatment of rosacea Doxycycline- and placebo-controlled, randomized clinical study. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges ; Hofer T. Continuous 'microdose' isotretinoin in adult recalcitrant rosacea. Clin Exp Dermatol ; Rosen T, Unkefer RP. Treatment of pyoderma faciale with isotretinoin in a patient with ulcerative colitis.

Cutis ; Strauss JS. Rosacea fulminans. Selden S. Pyoderma faciale. Rosacea fulminans pyoderma faciale : Successful treatment of a 3-year-old girl with oral isotretinoin.

Just started accutane(20 mg daily), too early to really say, I tried benzoyl peroxide for a month to no results,an the sad thing is. Never had moderate. There is no progressive accumulation of the drug in the skin during long term administration. It has a very short half-life compared to etretinate ( hours). In this study we retrospectively analysed the unique efficacy and incidence of potentially significant side-effects of a new drug which has claimed to be a. Indian J Drugs Dermatol [serial online] [cited Oct and need to be identified after stretching the skin under suitable light. Does it really cure acne for most people who take it? foods for healthy skin. Isotretinoin is a super-effective acne treatment. Sarah. Case Report. What I was left with was certainly not a blank canvas due to the scarring and discoloration caused by previous breakouts, but I was happy to see progress nonetheless. We retrospectively analysed the unique efficacy of isotretinoin, and studied the incidence of its side-effects on an Indian population. Presidential Address.

The last two decades have seen the emergence of synthetic retinoids as a major milestone in dermatotherapeutics. We retrospectively analysed the unique efficacy of isotretinoin, and studied the incidence of its side-effects on an Indian population. There is no progressive accumulation of the drug in the skin during long term administration.

It has a very short half-life compared to etretinate hours. It crosses the placenta and is a known teratogen. It is rapidly eliminated by the liver and kidneys, with the main mechanism of excretion being hepatic clearance. No parent drug is identified in the urine. A major breakthrough in the understanding of retinoid action came from the discovery of nuclear receptors for retinoids retinoic acid receptors - RARs and retinoid x receptors - RXRs.

In the presence of retinoids, the RARs and RXRs can bind specific DNA regulatory sequences and alter the expression of other genes by increasing or suppressing the expression of other regulatory proteins for example - growth factors, oncogenes, keratins or transglutamines which control several body processes. Amongst both synthetic such a etretinate, acitretin, arotinoids and natural retinoids such as all - trans retinoic acid and cis retinoic acid , only cis retinoic acid exerts its effect on sebum production and therefore on acne.

Other mechanisms include anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, inhibition of microbial enzyme activity and desquamation of poral occlusion. Isotretinoin is associated with a high incidence of a number of minor annoying side-effects.

A group of internationally known experts proposed a treatment guideline for isotretinoin. Other indications are gram negative folliculitis, inflammatory rosacea- rhinophyma, pyoderma faciale, acne fulminans and hidradenitis suppurativa. See [Table - 1]. Before initiating therapy, the patients were educated on compliance, regular follow-up, sideeffects, cost of treatment, avoidance of other oral medications to prevent drug interaction and importance of contraception whilst on treatment.

Those individuals who suffered from photosensitive disorders, renal or hepatic compromise, economically non-affording, uneducated, unable to follow-up, with pre-existing hyperlipidemia, family history of hyperlipidemia or premature atherosclerosis, and females who were planning a family or pregnant were not considered.

A pelvic ultrasonography to rule out polycystic ovaries syndrome pcos and endocrinal studies to pickup raised androgen levels, was performed to avoid treatment relapses.

Isotretinoin tablets are available in the strength of 20 milligrams. We started with 0. Treatment course lasted for months depending on daily dose and clinical progress. See [Table - 2]. Generally patients were able to tolerate isotretinoin. In those whom the tolerability was poor, such as extreme dryness of the lips and face, dosage adjustments along with liberal use of moisturizers and sunscreens sufficed.

Two female patients complained of severe nausea causing them to drop out. Those who had raised serum levels in the laboratory tests were advised to stop the treatment temporarily till repeat levels were within normal limits before they were restarted on a lower dosage schedule.

Side effects observed and outcome of treatment are given in [Table - 3] and [Table - 4]. The dramatic clinical response observed in this case study made us realise that acne patients should, where appropriate, be prescribed isotretinoin sooner rather than later. It normally results in complete clearance of nodulocystic acne followed by prolonged remission and many patients remain free from the disease. The cost of isotretinoin was the main drawback.

However considering the long term advantages which include physical and emotional relief, these expenses are negligible. In addition, society benefits from limiting the evolution of bacterial resistance and reducing health care costs. A number of patients benefited by combining isotretinoin with diane. Since both these drugs target different mechanisms in acne pathogenesis, they act synergistically.

No drug interaction between the two have been reported. In conclusion we agree whole heartedly with Layton et al, that oral isotretinoin provides a very effective means of therapy to prevent a patient being "scarred for life".

Exact matches only. Search in title. Search in content. Search in excerpt. Abstracts from current literature. Art amp Psychiatry. Association Activities. Association Notes. Award Article. Book Review. Brief Report. Case Analysis. Case Letter. Case Letters. Case Notes. Case Report. Case Reports. Clinical and Laboratory Investigations.

Clinical Article. Clinical Studies. Clinical Study. Conference Oration. Conference Summary. Continuing Medical Education. Cosmetic Dermatology. Current Best Evidence. Current Issue. Current View. Derma Quest. Dermato Surgery. Dermatosurgery Specials. Dispensing Pearl. Do you know. Drug Dialogues. Editor Speaks. Editorial Remarks. Editorial Report. Editorial report for. Fourth All India Conference Programme. From Our Book Shelf. From the Desk of Chief Editor. Get Set for Net. Get set for the net.

Guest Article. Guest Editorial. How I Manage. Images in Clinical Practice. In Memorium. Inaugural Address. Knowledge From World Contemporaries. Leprosy Section. Letter in Response to Previous Publication. Letter to Editor.

Letter to the Editor. Letter to the Editor Case Letter. Letter to the Editor Observation Letter. Letter to the Editor Study Letter. Letter to the Editor Therapy Letter. Letters in Response to Previous Publication. Letters to the Editor. Letters to the Editor Case Letters. Medicolegal Window.

Miscellaneous Letter.



Comments